Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Latch



The Latch

            I left the gate open, but the shades down.
              If anyone wanted to come in, they would have to knock long
                                  At a locked door
                                           And be patient.

            Once, a long time ago, the door was open to all.
              A child trusts everyone until they prove her wrong—
                                    Knocking over lamps, ruining rugs,
 breaking windows


                        Perspective distorted
                                    Broken trust
                                                Wounded heart
                                                            Crippled Soul

Then—a knock

            A gently insistent knock
                        I pretended not to hear, not to hope, only to hide.

            A muffled still small voice….
                        He knows my name!
                            “I am your Shepherd and
I strengthen the sick,
                                                I seek the lost and
bind the broken.”

            My heart cries with longing to draw the latch,
                        My head shouts a warning to keep it fast.

He waits…and knocks

I know the cost:
 Letting go of the past
Breaking the shell cast
            Of my own thoughts for His.

I lift the shade a fraction
But, O, blinding Light!

            I sink to my knees and cover my face.
                        “I cannot receive your peace.”
                                    He offers His grace.

           


                        Patiently knocking
                                    Quietly pleading           
                                                Lovingly healing
                                                            Slowly Changing

Me

Rev. 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door and knock, if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him and will sup with him and he with me.

2 Cor. 6:2
(...behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)


I lift the latch
And let the Lord, my Shepherd,
Enter.


(Based on Scripture from Ezekiel 34:11, 12, 16)

No comments:

Post a Comment