Sunday, May 16, 2010

Family Recipe

Afew years ago, my mom gave me a book of family recipes. It is a small black binder filled with colorful laminated pages--my mom knew I was a messy cook!;) Today, I took that book out and make some sweet rolls for Sunday School. Here is the recipe with a few tweaks that I have added:

No-Knead Refrigerator Rolls (from Betty Crocker)
2 Pkg. Active Dry Yeast
2 C Warm water (Not hot-110 to 115 degrees)
1/2 C sugar
2 tsp. salt
6 1/2 to 7 C flour
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil

In mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Measure flour by dip-level-pour method. Add sugar, salt, and half of the flour to yeast. Beat thoroughly 2 min. Add egg and oil. Gradually beat in the remaining flour until smooth. Cover with a damp cloth and place in the refrigerator. Punch down occasionally as dough rises in refrigerator. About 2 hours before baking, cut off the ammount needed, shape into rolls, and let rise on a greased baking sheet for about 1 1/2 hours
Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 400

To make cinnamon rolls:
Take about 1/2 of the dough and roll out flat
brush with about 1/2 stick of butter
sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (1 C sugar to about 1Tsp. cinnamon)
Chopped walnuts are optional
Roll up like a jelly roll and slice.

In the bottom of the cake pan, Sprinkle liberally with brown sugar and dot with about one stick of butter. Place rolls on top.

Topping:
1 package of cream cheese
About 1/2 of maple syrup
1 8oz. tub of cool whip

My mom also gave me another recipe book: a godly example based on the KJ Bible. She has shared this recipe with her children and grandchildren--all of whom have professed Jesus as Saviour. She was firm when we needed it but was always willing to make a fun memory

Lord,
Please help me to pass on your recipes to my children. Help me to be fun yet firm. Thank you for the special family that you have given to me.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment