Friday, January 31, 2014

My Story

     Each of us have turning points in our lives.  Mine happened when I was five years old.

        It was a Sunday morning.  Our family always went to church; however, today was different.  We had a new pastor.  I cannot remember any sermons up to this point in my life. This one changed me.  The text was John 3:16  "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." He went on to explain that God loves everyone--every single person ever!  He loved us even though we had sinned--and I knew even as a 5 year old that I had sinned.  Sin is just doing things our own way, missing the perfect target, or stepping out of the boundaries that God has set.  I knew that I was selfish, disobedient, and sometimes downright mean.  I also knew that I had a problem.

      I was old enough to know that actions have consequences--my sin deserved a punishment.  As the Pastor told us about Heaven and Hell, I knew that I wanted to go to Heaven.  It was so easy!  I just chose God's way:  1. I admitted that I was a sinner  2.  I accepted what God said was true--Jesus died on the Cross, was buried, and rose again to pay the punishment for my sin  3. I trusted His promise to save my soul from Hell and take me to Heaven.  Nothing spooky.  I went from trusting what I did to trusting His Word.

     This Changed My Life!

    It was the starting place of getting to know God.  He has infinite understanding and can relate to my life experiences when no one else can. He helps me to grow into a person that will trust Him and His Word more and more. This takes the pressure off of me--He leads, I follow.  Simple--life changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment